Sunday 20 April 2014

The almighty blanket

Night-time. Darkness. Eerie , silent darkness. You sense a phantom hand trying to grab your leg. What do you do? Pull it inside your blanket of course. Roll yourself into a ball and cover yourself with that single piece of cloth. Sounds familiar?
This is me. Every night. 

Blankets are the only form of protection against evil beings known to man. Monsters under the bed, the girl from the ‘ring’, Mike Wozawski all have one thing in common. They fear blankets. Every single spirit known to exist quails in the presence of that formidable cotton/woollen cloth. This might come as a surprise for people but the blanket, apart from protecting the wearer from harm, death and destruction, also serves to keep him/her warm. No Really. My current blanket is a woollen one. It even looks scary. But it's big. So I don’t have to twist my body into uncomfortable positions to fit into it. It's summer here in Chennai. And that means I'm always bathed in my own sweat and grime. I can practically HEAR you all asking me why in the freaking world would I be using a blanket then.

Well there's something worse than ghosts here. Mosquitoes. Those nasty unscrupulous blood sucking mutations. Yes. I do have Mortein (it’s a brand that makes mosquito repellent coils and stuff that work as much as I do on a Sunday.).
Here.Have a Mortein.
                                             
I did buy a mosquito bat once. It’s a device that electrocutes mosquitoes so much so that not even their singed mangled bodies are left behind. Pure heaven. But good things seldom last. The bat broke. And this time it wasn't me who broke it. It was my cousin. He's 3 years old. And you know what 3 year olds do. The next thing I know the bat’s broken and the plaster from the wall lay scattered on the floor. Okay so the mosquitoes won that round. Great. And after that the assault started again. They got worse at night. So you see I had no other choice but to cocoon myself inside my blanket and try to ignore the fact that I was feeling exactly like how a cookie would feel inside an oven. But I'm a messy sleeper. So in the middle of the night when my fort(a.k.a. blanket) is broken and my defenses are down, the mosquitoes start their well planned attack. They succeed. I wake up. Squat a few. Then strengthen my fort. It’s a vicious cycle. Ah well. I heard there's this new mosquito repellent card in the market. It promises to kill all the mosquitoes in 2 minutes. Hmm. I wonder how much 200 of them would cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment